Friday, July 29, 2005

The Very First Thing I Crocheted...



These are pictures of the baby blanket I crocheted in college. This was created as part of my characters 'business' on stage during the fall of 1994. I was in the play "The Rimer's Of Eldritch". The square got so large that my director made me rip out a bunch of it and re-do it, to keep it from overtaking the scenes! Also, he told me I couldn't use the yellow onstage, cause it was too bright. During this show all of the actors were onstage the entire show, much of the time in darkness, as other areas of the stage were where the action was going on. I got to the point where I could actually crochet in the dark! The woman who my character did most of her scenes with (our characters were two middle aged women sitting on the porch doing our crocheting/knitting) had a friend show her how to knit a little bit, but by the end of each show she had a lapful of knotted yarn! I remember a couple times my ball of yarn rolled off the back of the platform our 'porch' was on (none of the sets were 'realistic', they were more abstract, so our porch just looked like a platform 3 feet off the ground and the rest of the set was made up of connected platforms of varying sizes and heights, ours was the back platform on one side, so there was nothing behind it to keep the yarn from rolling!)

So, after the play was over, I had this fairly large square. I didn't just want to rip it out or throw it in the back of a closet! Luckily, my older brother and his wife were pregnant, and it was mid-December. So....instant Christmas present!!! When sadie was born May 5, 1995, I went to visit them and was very happy to see that they had kept and were even USING the blanket! Here is Sadie Jane at about 2-3 weeks old when I went to visit over Memorial Day weekend ...

No comments: